Oceanfront Park Complex
Restored in 2016 by The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, Chapter 154. Full report here
Photo: to come
The Oceanfront Park Complex property was once part of a large beachfront park that was constructed of coquina3 rock between 1936 and 1937 by the Work Progress Administration (WPA).
The Clock Tower has stood as a symbolic landmark for the "World's Most Famous Beach" since its construction was completed in 1937. Its four, one-of-a-kind, 48 inch diameter clock dials [which were made from vitrolite6 glass with a milk white color] featured the twelve letters of the city (D-A-Y-T-O-N-A-B-E-A-C-H) instead of the traditional one through twelve Arabic or Roman numerals. The original hour and minute hands were made from wood and coated with a smalt material which gave them a black color.
The original mid-1930s clockworks were a Seth Thomas Clock Company 8-day timepiece, Model #4 - 1912 tower clock movement with serial number 3180. This movement had a pendulum that was 4 feet long and a pendulum ball that weighed 28 lbs. It featured a power wind mechanism with a mercury switch that included a power reserve of 2 to 3 hours. When the weights dropped to a fixed distance the mercury switch was triggered which then activated the power wind mechanism to automatically rewind the weights. The movement was eventually converted to a full electric motor driven mechanism (electrified) in the 1980s.
As a one-of-a-kind structure that is on the National Register of Historic Places the Daytona Beach Clock Tower is surely worth the money and effort to preserve it. Being a unique landmark that will most likely never be replicated we cannot afford to lose this architectural treasure to the sands of time...
-The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, 2016
Photo: Vincent Daly
Chapman College Campus
E. Howard Street Clock, circa 1885.
Restored & installed 1995 by NAWCC Chapters 4 & 69.
Photo by M. A. Saiben, 2001.
Jessop's Clock: The Jessop’s street clock contains:
More than 300 moving parts
17 jewels, including tourmaline, agate, topaz, and Jade from the Jessop mine on Mount Palomar
20 dials, 12 of which tell the time in the major cities across the globe
The clock's machinery hangs an additional 12 feet below street level.
Where is this clock now?
Submitted by Steve Sodokoff
Photo: Fred Lyon, R. Matteucci
Originally created and installed at 895 Market street by Joseph Mayer of Seattle in 1915, possibly inspired by the Pan Pacific Exhibition. Later moved to its current home in 1943.
The clock was designated a landmark in 1975, stopped running in 1990 but was restored and rededicated in 2000.
Photo: Esther Mippas, Feb. 10, 1977, Steve Sodokoff
Father Alfred E Boeddeker Park
Eddy and Jones
At the time of the restoration and renovation of the Father Alfred E Boeddeker Park, this historic clock was somehow overlooked.
Photo: Steve Sodokoff, 2015
The Alibi Clock
This clock was built by E. Howard of Boston in 1914. It was originally located in front of Burnett Brothers Jewelry Store on Market Street, San Francisco.
The clock became nationally known after the San Francisco Preparedness Day Parade on July 22, 1916. During that parade, a bomb was set off, killing ten bystanders. Labor radicals Tom Mooney and Warren Billings were accused of the crime although a photographer oft he clock and Mooney showed that he as nowhere near the bombing. Despite this alibi, Mooney and Billings were convicted in a notorious trial that became a national cause celebre. It was later revealed that evidence was tampered with and several prosecution witness lied. Mooney was pardoned in 1929 and Billings was pardoned in 1961.
In 1932, the clock was moved to Simon's Jeweler, 320 Georgia Street. When Simon's closed in 1984, the clock was purchased be the City of Vallejo, moved to 316 Georgia Street, overhauled and restored. It is now leased and cared for by Brown's Jewelers.
This beautiful landmark was made possible by the generosity of Simon's Jeweler, Brown's Jewelers, the City of Vallejo, and everyone who assisted in the restoration.
More information can be found at Weirdca.com