The Spitz Clock
Photo: Jim Colthup, 1995, Franny Eberhart, 2011
Twin of Yorkville Clock, 1501 Third Avenue, New York, New York.
The Spitz Jewelry Store was established on the Plaza in 1881, and a clock, without works, was placed in front of the store to advertise the wares offered. Near the turn of the century, this "clock" was replaced by a functioning sidewalk clock which stood until 1915, when it was knocked down by one of the first motor trucks in Sante Fe. The third Spitz clock, standing here, was purchased second-hand by Salamon Spitz in 1916 and was brought to Sante Fe from Kansas City. It stood in front of the Spitz Jewelry Store until the Plaza's south portal was built in 1967. The clock was donated to the citizens of Sante Fe by Bernard Spitz, and was erected on this site in June of 1974.