Queens

Atlantic Avenue

92nd Street and Atlantic Avenue

Lalance & Grosjean Factory Clock Tower

This is one of the only remaining buildings of the Lalance and Grosjean Factory which sparked the growth of Woodhaven. The owners built churches and workers' homes. Manufacturing Co. sheet metal and enamel factory.

The almost 150-year-old clock on the former building still provides accurate time to the residents of Woodhaven and Ozone Queens.

Link to Times News Weekly.

Photo: Vinit Parmar


Bayside

Photo: Vinit Parmar


College Point Boulevard

#3630
Flushing, Queens

Photo: Vinit Parmar


Flushing

USTA

Photo: Vinit Parmar


Jamaica Avenue

#15510

Another very unconventional timepiece can also be found on the Joseph P. Addabbo Federal Building, Jamaica, Queens. Although the building’s main tenant, the Social Security Administration, objected to the clock that was incorporated into the building’s blueprints, it did allow for this exceptional sundial at the completion of the building in 1989.  A metal gnomon projects out horizontally from the building’s tower that casts its shadow onto three diagonal lines incised into the façade that indicate the hour.  Although this is certainly one of the more unique timepieces in the city, its distinctiveness probably makes it goes unnoticed by the many who daily pass by the building.  Other more recently installed sundials can be found in front of the New York Hall of Science in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, in Washington Park in the Tremont section of the Bronx, and at the apex of the Brooklyn Promenade in Brooklyn Heights.

Photo: Chris Desantis


Jamaica Avenue & Union Hall Street

Photo: Vinit Parmar


Long Island

#2 S Main St, Southampton

The First Presbyterian Church of Southampton.

Link to cellphone tower denial.

Photo credit 27East.com.


Long Island City

Citicorp Building

Photo: Vinit Parmar


Long Island City

Queens Plaza North
#29-27

Clock Tower

The building itself, located at 29-27 Queens Plaza North, was designed by Morrell Smith and completed in 1927. 

Photo Credit: Vinit Parmar

Recent events

NY.Curbed article about Clock Tower.

http://pix11.com/2015/01/23/time-to-check-whats-happening-to-clock-tower-in-queens-plaza/

 


Metropolitan Avenue

#6419

Photo: Vinit Parmar


Myrtle Avenue

Vendetti Square

Photo: Vinit Parmar


Onderdonk Street

#82
Ridgewood, Queens

Double-clocked steeple.

 


Queens Boulevard

#10755 (Forest Hills, near 108th Street)

The bank was chartered as Savings Bank of Ridgewood on June 18, 1921. It began when 14 local businessmen in Ridgewood, Queens decided to form a mutual savings bank to serve the needs of the community. The Bank's first headquarters was a converted taproom located at the intersection of Myrtle and Forest Avenues. In 1929, the cornerstone was laid for a new headquarters at the same site and the name was changed from Savings Bank of Ridgewood to Ridgewood Savings Bank. The building architects were Halsey, McCormack and Helmer, Inc. and the general contractors were Stamarith Construction Corporation. In 1940, the bank opened its first branch office, in Forest Hills, Queens. The building is located at the intersection of Queens Boulevard and 108th Street, and was designated a New York City Landmark in 2000 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission.

Photo: Chris Desantis


Rockaway Beach Boulevard

#157 (JACOB RIIS PARK)

WISE MEMORIAL CLOCK 1941

Photo: Alex Romero, National Park Service

The following information is from the Historic Structure Report April 1981, Gateway National Recreation Area, Jacob Riis Park Historic District.

The following information is from the Historic Structure Report April 1981, Gateway National Recreation Area, Jacob Riis Park Historic District.

The Wise clock, sometimes known as the Riis Park Memorial Clock, was installed on the promenade at the east end of the ellipse on March 4, 1941. Although the exact origin of the clock is unknown, it was probably built in the 1890s as a special-made item by the Wise Jewelry Store in Brooklyn, although some sources claim that the clock was manufactured by the Howard Clock Company of Boston. The clock stood in front of the Wise Jewelry Store at Flatbush Avenue and Nevins Street for approximately years. It was then moved with the firm to a new location at Fulton Street near Hoyt where it remained for nine years. From there it was moved to 288 Livingston for about five years before being removed to the park. The clock was donated to the Department of Parks by William A. Wise and Son in 1941 when the firm went out of business.

The was a four-dialed free standing mechanism. The base of the clock was cast iron, and from the pedestal top and above it was wood. The clock itself was twelve feet high in height and the overall height of the standard about 20 feet. There were four faces on the clock, each face being four feet in diameter and each dial 30 inches in diameter. The clock had elaborate detailed scroll work throughout the pedestal.

The clock was set in concrete foundation on the promenade at the park. A bronze weather vane in the form of a sailor looking through a spy glass was installed on top of the clock in September 1941.

In the late 1960s or early 1979s the Wise clock was used in a Cracker Jacks commercial for television. Several young children were seen buying Cracker Jacks from the nearby Concession Building and then gathering around the base of the clock to share their treat.

Jacob Riis Park Website.


Steinway Street

#30-78

The Steinway Clock

Originally cast in 1907 and installed on Steinway Street in 1922. This clock stood for almost 90 years before being repaired in 2007 by Electric Time Company. In the fall of 2014, this clock was hit by a truck and was knocked over. Re-installation scheduled for Fall 2016.

Photo: Tom Bernardin 2008


Union Turnpike

Hollis Hills, Queens

Photo: Vinit Parmar


Ravenswood

Vernon Avenue
#3101

The former Adirondack factory on the banks of the East River in Queens is one of the few surviving factories in the city that retains a clock.

Photo by Vinit Parmar.